Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Training for 1,200 miles

One common question I get is how I'm training for this trek. Well, I'm not. Sounds a bit reckless, so let me explain.

I love to run, and go 10+ miles several times a week, so my body is used to distance. The days I don't run, I'm on the elliptical or pool running. I also take a core ball class every week, which helps with strength and balance, crucial on tricky creek crossings and the like.I've also run along the Vía de la Plata Camino in Spain many times, so I'm used to covering long distances day after day after day. Still, over time I've found these strategies to make my long-distance running much easier: 
  • Alternating running with some walking, which switches up the muscles I'm using. 
  • Alternating footwear every other day, which prevents hot spots and blisters. 
  • Taking an ice bath or cold shower at the end of every day's run/hike, plus using the "Stick" to massage sore spots. 
  • Eating and drinking plenty. 
  • Getting lots of rest.

People also wonder how I can stand being by myself all day, every day, for weeks. Don't I get lonely? Well, sure. But I talk to innkeepers and restaurateurs every night, plus whoever I bump into along the trail. I call or text my family daily. Plus I have interesting, lively conversations with myself. It's great because I never interrupt myself, and listen raptly to my every word.

No comments:

Post a Comment