Friday, March 24, 2017

Day 17/5: SR 100 Near Palatka to Gold Head Branch State Park

March 24, 2017

Lucky me. Today was another cool (70s) and cloudy day on the trail. Not that I don't love the sun, but sometimes it's nice to hike in cool, cloudy weather.

The first part of my hike was along the Palatka-Lake Butler State Trail, a rail-trail. As soon as I started I came across a bridge over a creek that was blocked off with a sign saying the bridge was closed because it was too dangerous. Luckily I had read Late Start's trail journal; she said she deemed it safe enough, and a better option than wading through the fairly-deep creek below, or walking along the busy highway that had no shoulder. Sure enough, the bridge was plenty sturdy.

There was a bit of road walking after that along sandy trail, then I was led into the woods for several miles. It was very lovely.

Judy was joining me on and off during these segments.

The last half of the day was along a paved road and then a sandy road around the Christian Camp and Gold Head Branch State Park. At one point some dogs were threatening me, but a guy drove up in his pick-up and blocked the dogs from me until I got past. This was the second time I've been so saved here in Florida.

During this trip I've been plagued with iPhone email issues; my mail app got accidentally deleted during my fourth day on the trail, and when I reinstalled it it won't send any emails (although it receives them). Today my laptop wasn't working, and as I work at night in my motels, this was a serious issue. I think I finally have both fixed. I sure hope so!

Snowshoe



No comments:

Post a Comment