Saturday, April 1, 2017

Day 24/12: Suwannee River State Park to I-10

March 31, 2017

I had no shuttle today, but that was O.K. The day called for about 12 miles of trail, then another 12 on roads. Since the road walks are spots where they're hoping to buy/build trail in the future, they're not crucial to see/walk like the trail segments. So I went out and back on the trail for my required 24 miles today, which enabled me to skip the road-walk (part of which was a busy highway) and still walk the required miles.

The morning was cloudy and cool, and the trail was lovely. It got sunny and warm later. At one point I ran into a man and his dog. He had just opened a beer. His dog was 16, born on 9/11, and had just come back from a great visit with the vet. So the owner was very happy to know his dog should have more time on earth. After he told me his story, I kept thinking that I can't believe 9/11 was 16 years ago! Seems like maybe just 5 or 10 at the most.

The last part of the trail had some unpleasant spots, mainly two sections of hiking on -- well, I'm not sure what to call it. I guess it's Florida's dirt, but it's some odd, gray, sandy-dirtish substance that's really hard to walk on. It's lumpy and bumpy and not as soft as sand, but not firm like black dirt in Wisconsin. I've got a photo below.

Can't believe just two more days of hiking before it's time to head home.

Snowshoe



No comments:

Post a Comment