Saturday, June 2, 2018

Superior Hiking Trail: Another Adventure Begins

June 2, 2018

Today I'm starting a thru-hike of the 315-mile Superior Hiking Trail, which runs from just south of Duluth, Minn., up along the North Shore of Lake Superior nearly to Canada. I've long heard this is a beautiful, rugged trail and was thrilled when the Minneapolis Star Tribune asked me to hike it and then write a series of articles about my experience.

Because the series will start in July, I'll be blogging daily this month but keeping my posts unpublished until the series starts. I don't want to give anything away! But here's what I can reveal: I'm starting today. I'm hoping to average 15-20 miles per day. I will stay in motels half the time and camp the other half. Those of you who know me know camping isn't really my thing, but I'm going to give it a go. Wish me luck!

I'm also indebted to UW Health's Dr. Baer and physical therapist Brian Bradley. Dr. Baer surgically reattached my left hamstring in February, and Brian has been helping me regain strength so I can hike again.

Until July ...!

Snowshoe

No comments:

Post a Comment