Sunday, October 6, 2013

Last Day! Forestville, Sturgeon Bay

This was a great last day.

The forecast called for rain until about 9 a.m., then sunshine. I wanted to leave at 8 a.m., but it was raining pretty steadily then and I figured it wasn't smart to get soaked right off the bat, so I waited until about 8:45, when the rain had subsided to a light drizzle. Headed out of Algoma and onto the Ahnapee State Trail.

The trail was a rather typical rail-trail: flat, easily runnable and scenic. Once again I was surprised by the number of people fishing. The weather stayed overcast and slightly drizzly for much of the way. Ed arrived when I was about 2/3 of the way along the trail, and joined my parents in supporting me.

I arrived into Sturgeon Bay around noon or so. The sun broke out, and suddenly the weather was gorgeous. The path through town was scenic and well marked. Potawatomie State Park was pretty technical, filled with slick rocks and roots. I was dying to  run the last few miles (I'd been able to run all the way from Algoma), but after tripping and slipping a few times just while walking, I decided to play it safe and walk the rest of the way in.

I hit the Eastern Terminus at 2:06 p.m., and found my two sisters and their families waiting for me as a surprise, along with my parents. Ed had walked me in. What a great ending! We celebrated with lots of photos and champagne, plus a walk up the tower, which provided killer views of the lake. And the Packers won -- what more can you ask for?!

I'll be posting some post-trek thoughts in the next few days, so keep reading. Plus, starting the end of the month, I'll be tackling the Natchez Trace, another one of our nation's 11 National Scenic Trails. The Trace is a trail you either drive or bike, and Ed and I will be biking its entire 444 miles. (That seems so lame after walking/running 1,100 miles.)

Can't forget to mention that I stayed at At the Water's Edge in Algoma last night. It was a comfy spot right on the shores of Lake Michigan, with great food and friendly innkeepers. Keep it in mind if you're on the trail. Tonight Ed and I are at the Inn at Cedar Crossing in Sturgeon Bay. Had a great soak in its whirlpool, into which I dumped eucalyptus-scented epsom salts. Now I'm enjoying some of their tasty, soft chocolate chip cookies -- and the thought that I DID IT!


3 comments:

  1. Alright Melanie!!!! Your persistence to finish is admirable given the weather and blisters you had to manage through. I look forward to hearing more as you write and will see you soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! What an accomplishment! Your blogs have been very inspiring--I am looking forward to reading your post-trek thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow wow wow. This is such an inspiring feat! I have missed some of your blogs, so I'm reading them now, but I'm so excited for you that you have completed this! How very exciting, and (gotta say it again) inspiring. Thanks for your persistence in blogging.

    ReplyDelete