Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Day 4: Tuscobia, Blueberry, Hemlock Creek, Northern Blue Hills

Again using phone, so just a short note. 

Tuscobia State Trail was like walking through a green tunnel -- trees arched overhead and the trail was mostly flat grass. Temps were 36 at the start, so the grass was wet and my feet got soaked immediately. About 8 miles in I changed shoes when I met Ed.

Totally missed the Blueberry segment; it was only signed for westbound hikers, so  I walked on an ugly gravel road that paralleled it and never knew until the end, where I saw the sign for westbound hikers.

Hemlock and Northern Blue Hills both had some spectacular scenery, but also lots of overgrown areas and a few missing blazes. That meant walking several miles extra -- not fun when you're already doing 30. The mosquitos were also moderately bad. 

Not doing nearly as much running as I'd hoped and planned. So many of the trails are so overgrown you can't even walk them, let alone run -- you're bush whacking your way through! I should have packed a machete. Kettle Moraine and Devil's Lake will seem like a piece of cake when I get there.

Staying two nights at Cobblestone Inn in Birchwood -- a great place. I think I mentioned the copper soaking tub last night. Well, today innkeeper Mary Lou bought me lavender-scented Epsom salts for a healing soak after the long day. How sweet is that?!

Below is today's favorite photo.

Valderi

3 comments:

  1. Glad to read about your adventures and having 4 days in is a great accomplishment, especially seeing how rough the trail can be. In a few more days take a picture of the scratched legs for posterity. Hopefully your trail eyes will start finding those hidden yellow blazes more easily :-). Have a great day 5. Jason Dorgan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're having fun, great! Keep up the good work, and don't forget to check for fleas.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys! Brenda, how do I check for fleas??!! ICK.

    ReplyDelete